Town Bus / Transportation Services
There are several ways to get around Town and to our neighboring towns and cities without getting into your vehicle.
Town Shuttle Bus
The University Park Shuttle Bus offers free transportation for University Park residents only, Monday through Friday, to and from the Prince George's Plaza Metro stop. Weekday scheduled trips to the Metro are offered between 6 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. and scheduled pick-ups from the Metro to University Park are offered from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Drop-off and pick-up location is on the east side of the station, by the parking lot on the opposite side of the shops. Riders are picked up at the same location where they are dropped off each day.
- View the schedule of the Town Shuttle Bus (PDF).
- View a map of the morning and evening route, including designated stops, to and from Prince George's Plaza Metro (PDF).
Inclement Weather Policy
Please follow news media reports regarding the operating status of federal government offices as the best indicator of whether the Town Shuttle Bus is operating.
- If federal government offices are closed due to weather conditions, the Town Shuttle Bus will not operate.
- If federal government offices are open, even if on delayed arrival, the Town Shuttle Bus will operate on its established route and schedule so long as the conditions are deemed safe by the Town.
- If federal government offices are open and announce early dismissal, the Town Shuttle Bus will operate on its established route and schedule so long as the conditions are deemed safe by the Town.
- Bus status recording will be updated as needed due to changing conditions.
In inclement weather, call the Town Bus status line at 240-297-8287 to learn if the bus is operating.
Seniors & Disabled Persons' Town Bus Service
University Park also provides lift-equipped, door-to-door, free transportation to senior citizens (age 55 and older), individuals with disabilities and veterans for scheduled appointments such as medical appointments, shopping, employment, education and social activities within a five-mile radius.
Appointments are on a first come, first served basis. Appointments are scheduled Tuesday through Thursday between 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Drivers are not to enter any residences. Family members or escorts are required to bring the wheelchair occupant to the curb, and are to accompany the bus if the wheelchair occupant is unable to operate the chair at the destination.
Call Town Hall at 301-927-4262 during business hours at least 24 hours in advance to schedule transportation.
In May 2017 the University of Maryland's mBike program, operated by Zagster, added two bike stations in University Park. Unlike other programs in which riders must drop off bikes at designated stations for every stop, Zagster's bikes have built-in locks, giving users the freedom to ride as long as they want, wherever they want. This hybrid model, which blends dockless locking for mid-trip stops with fixed station locations for beginning and ending rides, allows users to plan their trips around their destinations - and not around station locations.
Bikes can be found via the free Zagster Mobile app - available for iPhone and Android - or online.
Bike Stations in University Park are located at the following intersections:
- Queens Chapel Road and Baltimore Avenue
- Wells Parkway and College Heights Drive
Three bus services operate around the perimeter of University Park: MetroBus, TheBus (Route1Ride) and ShuttleUM. All three bus services have routes that connect to the MetroRail stations on the Green Line.
SmarTrip cards are reloadable fare cards that allow you to use MetroBus, MetroRail and TheBus (Route1Ride). SmarTrip cards can be purchased from any MetroRail station.
Route1Ride (TheBus route 17) travels along Route 1 from the D.C. line to IKEA in College Park with a stop at the College Park MetroRail station. The fare is $1.25, or free for children under 5, senior citizens or handicapped. It is also free for elementary, high school and UMD students, faculty and staff with ID. View TheBus (Route1Ride) for fares and times.