Trash / Bulk Trash
NEW: Effective May 1, 2019 mattresses and box springs must be completely covered with a plastic covering for curbside collection.
In keeping with the recent policy change made by the Prince George’s Co. Waste Management Division for the health and safety of staff, University Park residents requesting curbside collection of bulk trash items will be required to completely cover mattresses and box springs in a protective plastic covering. Plastic zippered mattress covers are available at many local retail stores for a nominal fee.
Refuse removal deals with your daily household trash that is not recyclable. Refuse is collected every Tuesday. Trash should be placed in Town-provided carts. Please secure lids to prevent littering and attracting wild animals and birds. Residents must bring carts to the curb for pick up before 7 a.m. unless they have already arranged for side-door or back-door service.
Water-based paint may be collected with your regular trash if it is in its clearly legible, original container and it has been dried out - remove lid for at least 72 hours. Paint is also collected at our semi-annual drop off events.
Metal items of all kinds are collected on Tuesdays separate from the regular trash and recycled. Anything metal is acceptable, however, compressed cylinders must be punctured. Only appliances with refrigerant (air conditioners, freezers, refrigerators and dehumidifiers) require payment. For these items, a payment of $20 should be submitted to the clerk at least one day prior to the desired Tuesday collection day.
Bulk Trash Collection
All bulk trash is collected on Tuesdays. If your item contains Freon or a coolant, such as a refrigerator, dehumidifier or A/C unit, a payment of $20 is required by the Town prior to pickup. Payment can be made at Town Hall. Only cash or check is accepted at this time. Fill out our online bulk trash pickup request form.
Unacceptable items may be taken to the county facility at Brown Station Road Public Convenience Center.
- Animal carcasses
- Automobiles or auto parts
- Chemical and/or petroleum cleanup waste
- Compressed cylinders of any size, shape or condition
- Construction and demolition debris
- Drums, tanks, kegs and barrels (plastic and metal) greater than 55 gallons in size unless the sides are removed and the vessel flattened prior to collection
- Hazardous and bio-hazardous medical waste
- Home Renovation / Remodeling debris
- Liquids, including paint, sewage and septic waste
- Plastic packing materials and plastic sheeting
- Radioactive material
- Riding lawnmowers
- Shingles, roofing materials
- Skids and pallets
- Soil, rocks, grubbing material and spoil
- Stumps and logs
- TVs and Electronics
- Wood (unless it is a piece of furniture)
- Wooden Fencing / Sheds / Gazebos