Nature and Variety of Work
The University Park Police Department is seeking qualified applicants to fill a permanent part-time School Crossing Guard position. This is specialized work in the control of traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian, in conjunction with the movement of students to and from school. The position requires employees to be available to report to a school crossing area in University Park on short notice. Applicants MUST be able to work Monday-Friday between the hours of 7:15 a.m. – 8:15 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. Work is performed independently. The complexity of the work revolves around observing traffic and conditions, grouping pedestrians, stopping traffic and restarting traffic.
Crossing Guard employees wear a uniform and perform duties that require employees to stand, walk and use arm/hand signals, whistles, voice and flags/flares.
$15.00-$20.00 per hour
- Regulates vehicular traffic at designated crossing to allow children to cross safely;
- Regulates children using the crossing to assure that they conform to traffic regulations;
- Assists bus drivers, parents, vehicle operators, police and school staff to ensure a safe and orderly school ingress and egress process;
- Attends meetings, gives statements, provides reports, testifies in court as necessary;
- Regulates traffic at special events and non-school locations as assigned;
- Performs miscellaneous duties to assist with other department activities;
- Takes appropriate action with children who fail to cooperate and reports such action as required;
- Performs related tasks as required.
The Selection Process:
Applicants must successfully complete a background investigation to be considered for the position. The background process consists of successfully completing the following:
- Submit a Town of University Park employment application
- Preliminary Application and Applicant History Review
- Attend Preliminary Screening
- Preliminary Documents and Records Check
If selected you may be contacted to continue into the complete Background Investigation Process, which includes:
- Complete and Submit the Personal History Statement (PHS)
- Initial Interview
- Background Investigation
- Drug Screen
- Medical Exam
- Final Offer of Employment
- Successfully complete crossing guard training
How to Apply
Submit a Town of University Park Employment application to the Town of University Park, 6724 Baltimore Avenue, University Park, MD 20782, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.