Join the discussion at the University Park Forum
Resident Information

Welcome to the Town of University Park. Here are a few quick tips to get you acquainted with town. Feel free to contact Town Hall with any questions.

Ward Map

Click here to learn which Town ward you live in.

University Park Civic Association

The University Park Civic Association (UPCA) is a self-governing organization of residents of the Town of University Park, Maryland. Formed more than 20 years ago, they plan and sponsor events for adults, children and families.

The UPCA sponsors more than a dozen events each year through the annual supporting contribution of $25 per family, and some funding from the Town of University Park. Click here to become a member or to view upcoming events.

Town Shuttle Bus

There are several ways to get around to our neighboring towns and cities and Washington, D.C. without getting into your vehicle. Click here to learn more about transport options, including the Town Shuttle Bus for seniors and disabled persons.

The University Park Shuttle Bus offers free transport for University Park residents only, Monday through Friday, to and from the Prince George's Plaza Metro stop. Weekday scheduled trips to the Metro are offered between 6 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. and scheduled pick-ups from the Metro to University Park are offered from 4 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Drop-off and pick-up location is on the west side of the station, closest to shops and East-West Highway. Riders are picked up at the same location where they are dropped off each day.

Click here to view the schedule of the Town Shuttle Bus.

Click here to view a map of the morning and evening route, including designated stops, to and from Prince George's Plaza Metro.

Parks and Recreation

The Town has one playground, commonly known as the Tot Lot. It is located between 43rd and 44th Avenue.
We have two tennis courts, one on the 6500 block of Queens Chapel Road and the other on the 6600 block of Wells Parkway.
We also have about one mile of wooded, paved park trails running from Adelphi Road to 44th Avenue.

Waste Collection Services

  • Trash and bulk trash are collected every Tuesday and Friday.
  • Single stream recycling is collected every Thursday.
  • Yard waste is collected every Monday. NO PLASTIC BAGS - yard waste must be in paper bags or in a container to be collected, in accordance with Prince George's County regulations.

    Click here to visit our Public Works page to learn more about waste collection.

    Click here to visit the Public Works calendar.

    Compost Program
    In the Fall of 2011, University Park launched its organics compost pilot with 50 volunteers using resources from the STEP UP Program and an outsourced vendor. The program is now serviced by the Public Works Department and has been expanded to include over 200 homes.

    Food scraps are collected at the curb every Tuesday. All supplies are provided by the Town.

    If you are interested in participating in the program, please email our Public Works Director Mickey Beall at and forward your contact information to him.

    Compost Program Guide

    Vehicle Stickers

    You will see that University Park residents have square blue "UP" stickers on their bumpers. These stickers help our police officers determine who lives in Town and who is visiting, and prevent people from outside Town parking on our streets for extended periods of time.

    To get a sticker, come to the Town Hall and present your driver's license showing your University Park address (or a utility bill in your name) and your license plate number. Stickers are free. These stickers are not a requirement, but are highly recommended.

    Building Permits

    Town building permits are required if you are planning to do any exterior work to your property.

    Click here for a list of projects that require a Town building permit. Please call Town Hall if you have any questions.

    Click here to view the guidelines for applying for a building permit.

    Click here to view the building permit application.

    Lost Pet Database

    To register your pet or to report a lost or found pet, please call Laura Collins. She can be reached at or 301-785-2838. Have your pets microchipped and make sure they wear their tags at all times so they can be identified.

    Town Newsletter

    The Town produces a monthly newsletter. A copy is mailed to every residence and includes a column from the Mayor and the Police Chief reports on safety. It also contains the crime report, minutes from our Council meetings, town news, town events, a calendar and town directory. To view the most recent issue, click here.

    House Watch Request

    If you will be away from your residence for vacation or a long period of time, we encourage you to contact the Police Department, at least 48 hours before you plan to be away, and make a house watch request where officers will examine the physical security of vacant residences. Click here to make an online request or contact the Police Department at 301-277-0051 Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

    Public Schools

    University Park Elementary School (pre-K to 5th grade) is located at 4315 Underwood Street. Click here to visit their website.

    Hyattsville Middle School (Grades 6-8) is located 6001 42nd Avenue, Hyattsville, MD. Click here to visit their website.

    Northwestern High School (Grades 9-12) is located at 7000 Adelphi Road, Hyattsville, MD. Click here to visit their website.

    Public Library

    The Hyattsville Branch on Adelphi Road is currently closed for renovations. It has been temporarily relocated to 6502 America Boulevard, Hyattsville, MD. Click here to visit the Hyattsville Branch online.


    United States Senators

    Christopher Van Hollen, Jr
    110 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Phone: 202-224-4654

    Benjamin L. Cardin
    509 Hart Senate Office Building
    Washington, DC 20510
    Phone: 202-224-4524

    United States Representatives (Maryland District 5)

    Steny Hoyer
    1705 Longworth House Office Building
    Washington, D.C. 20515
    Phone: 202-225-4131

    State Senator (District 22)

    Paul G. Pinsky
    James Senate Office Building, Room 220
    11 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    Phone: 410-841-3155, 301-858-3155
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3155

    State Delegates (District 22)

    Tawanna P. Gaines
    House Office Building, Room 121
    6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    Phone: 410-841-3058, 301-858-3058
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3058

    Anne Healy
    House Office Building, Room 361
    6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    Phone: 410-841-3961, 301-858-3961
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3961

    Alonzo T. Washington
    House Office Building, Room 205
    6 Bladen St., Annapolis, MD 21401
    Phone: 410-841-3652, 301-858-3652
    1-800-492-7122, ext. 3652

  • Contact

    Town of University Park
    6724 Baltimore Avenue
    University Park, MD 20782

    Office: 301-927-4262


    Important Links & Telephone Numbers

    For hearing impaired, please use the Maryland State Relay Service:
  • 1-800-735-2258

    Quick Links

    Miss Utility

    PEPCO-Street Light Outage Online Reporting

    Prince George's Co Animal Management

    Prince George's Co Pothole Online Reporting

    Prince George's Co Rain Check Rebates

    Prince George's Co Traffic Signal Online Reporting

    Prince George's Co Waste Management

    SHA-Pothole Online Reporting

    Important Phone #'s

    Miss Utility
  • 800-257-7777

    Pepco Emergency
  • 202-872-3432

    Pepco Street Light Outages
  • 877-737-2662

    P.G. County Animal Control
  • 301-780-7200

    P.G. County Public Works Emergency Response
  • 301-499-8530

    P.G. County Storm Drain Management
  • 301-499-8520

    SHA Pothole Reporting
  • 301-952-0555

    SHA Traffic Light Reporting
  • 410-582-5650

    Washington Gas Emergency
  • 800-752-7520

    WMATA Customer Service
  • 202-637-1328

    WSSC Emergency
  • 301-206-4002